Tom Konrad CFA
May 29: Chinese City of Hangzou Planning Electric Leasing Program to Include EVs
- This article in Zhejiang Online does not mention Kandi Technologies (KNDI) by name, but it does say the city of Hangzhou is planning on adding electric cars to its electric vehicle rental system, and the price will be the same as electric bike rentals. To keep the price and space usage down, Kandi Technologies mini-EVs and Smart Vertical Parking System (described here) seem ideal.
- What Goldman’s $40 billion investment pledge means, and what it doesn’t mean.
- Neste Oil’s (NEF.F) claims against Syntroleum Corporation (SYNM) for alleged patent infringement of one patent were rejected by the US Patent office. The office has yet to rule on infringement of a second patent.
May 30: Polysilicon Prices Rise, but Not for Long
According to Bloomberg, polysilicon prices rose for the first time since February last week. But this tiny bit of good news will not be much help to polysilicon manufacturers like MEMC Electronic Materials (NASD:WFR.) The article went on to quote an analystsaying that the modest gain does not “alter the fundamental dynamics of excess capacity coming in.” Last week, S&P downgraded MEMC’s debt to junk, although Deutshe Banks says balance sheet at MEMC concerns are overblown and reiterates a Buy recommendation.
May 31: US slaps duties on Chinese Wind Towers
- US slaps duties on Chinese Wind Towers but US Wind tower stocks Broadwind (BWEN) and Trinity (TRN) are unmoved.
- Maxwell Technologies (MXWL) sellers too spooked of China.
June 1: Exide Technologies (XIDE) closes recycling plant, looks cheap.
- The closure of Exide’s Frisco, TX recycling plant puts even more cash on the balance sheet of this bargain basement battery stock.
- UPDATE: New Flyer (NFYEF, NFI.TO) unveils all-electric transit bus prototype.
DISCLOSURE: Long KNDI, MXWL, NFYEF